3/18/09

6'1 Source Hull



Picked up a killer little board from my friend and world class shaper Nick Palandrani. Nick learned the subtle seasoning for shaping hulls from hull maestro Mark Andreini. Caught an early evening session out at Sewer Peak and 1st Peak on the Eastside. Sets were pretty consistent, with a decent angle allowing for some lined up walls. It was a packed house, with Team O'Neill riders, some female sponsored surfers (Kim Mayer was ripping!) and the usual slurry of folks riding anything and everything. Water temp is up a bit as I was comfortable without booties.

My first ride was a quick drop and then bottom turn and the 9" Greenough flex fin (shaped/foiled by Rich Sanders of Halcyon Fins) went "TWANG!" sliding out sideways and I fell right off. "Hmm..." I thought to myself, "this little board is interesting!" Got a couple smaller ones then headed to 1st Peak. Not as crowded as it should have been, so I made my way over and proceeded to pick off a few lined up walls. Couple people asked about the board too. Got more and more comfortable with it and the super-flexi and styly Halcyon 9' Greenough Fin. Fun body language to incorporate as you negotiate the drop, bottom turn, trim line and cut back.

Verdict is that this is one fun and super functional transitional shape that Nick has got dialed. I'm taking it with me to So. Cal this weekend. Rincon would be the ultimate proving ground! More to come....

No comments: